Meridian’s 2013 Editors’ Prize Contests – Fiction and Poetry
MERIDIAN has stopped accepting online entries for its 2013 Editors’ Prize Contests in fiction and poetry. The deadline was midnight, January 8, 2013. Genre winners receive a $1,000 prize and publication; all entries receive a one-year electronic subscription. Entry fee: $8.00.
Please note a few significant changes from our past contests:
1) Our entry fee is now only $8
2) Entrants receive an electronic version of the journal (.pdf or ePub) rather than a print subscription
3) We are only allowing two submissions per entrant
We believe this lower cost contest model is better for you, and better for us. Rather than having you pay substantial entry fees to cover the cost of a print subscription (and mailing fees), we’re trying a lower $8 entry fee and will e-mail you an electronic version of the January and May 2013 issues. Fewer trees, less cost … and we’ll still have print-on-demand versions of Meridian available at at modest cost for those who like to keep things tangible.
We expect to announce winners toward the end of March 2013.
All submissions will be considered for publication in Meridian.
Fiction writers may submit one story of 10,000 words or fewer. Poets may submit up to 4 poems totaling 10 pages or fewer.
You may only submit two entries per genre–no more than two fiction submissions and/or two poetry submissions.
Submit your work through ManuscriptHub.com. Make sure that your account includes a working e-mail (one valid through March of the contest year). It’s the only way for us to contact you. Please leave your name off the manuscript. The Manuscripthub system keeps your contact info linked to your submission (but hides it from our readers allowing for blind judging). Please note that there are two steps to submitting on Manuscripthub. First you upload your manuscript to Manuscripthub. Then you select the Meridian “2013 Editors’ Prize” link in fiction or poetry and attach your uploaded manuscript. See the FAQ page for more details.
Best of luck!
Contest Eligibility Rules:
- UVA alumni who graduated after June 2008 are NOT eligible.
- UVA MFA students and alumni are NOT eligible.
- Current UVA students, staff, and faculty are NOT eligible.
- Former Meridian staff are not eligible. (If you’ve ever been on our masthead, don’t enter.)
- Friends, relatives, and former teachers and students of current Meridian staff or its advisor are not eligible.
- Our Meridian Editors’ Prize winners from 2006 and after are not eligible to enter, even if their win was in another genre.
- Authors with two or more published books are not eligible. This does not include chapbook publication. This does include self-published books (If it’s been for sale and it was not a chapbook, it counts). You may enter our fiction contest if your published books were in poetry, and vice versa.
- Current subscribers may enter the Editors’ Prize Contest for the same $8 fee.